Saturday, July 13, 2013

Marcheline Victorious!


I spend part of my free time collecting, reconditioning, and re-selling vintage eyeglasses.  It started out as an accident, really - I'd bought a few pairs for personal use, and one or two of them ended up being too small for my fat head, so I sold them on ebay for a profit.


Then I thought hey, if I can do it once by accident, why not do it a bunch of times on purpose?  And so I started studying brands and types and makes and models, finding out what people are looking for and how much markup I can expect to make on them.


Thanks to my husband for the fab present of a great camera a few Yules back, I can take excellent photos which leave no detail undisclosed.  I have a really good track record, both in sales and in my feedback on ebay.  Or I did, until recently.

A buyer purchased a pair of glasses from me, and I shipped them off, carefully closed (that bit's important), and wrapped in bubble wrap - as is all my vintage eyewear.


Two weeks later, I received a familiar looking box in the mail.  It was the eyeglasses I'd sold, only the arms had been pulled apart so far that one of the arms had cracked from the inside out (ie: impossible for this to have happened during shipping).  Along with the broken glasses was a nasty note demanding a refund.

I said, "I don't think so."  Okay, I said a few choicer, more stringent words than that.  And then I went straight to my ebay account and reported the buyer.  For good measure, I called ebay customer support, who assured me repeatedly that if a buyer returns an item without permission of the seller, that buyer gets no refund.

Thinking myself done with the issue, I relaxed and got back to business as usual.  One week later, I signed into ebay to check my sales, and there was a notification that this person had opened a case against me... and left negative feedback on my previously spotless record!


I called ebay, flabbergasted that they would allow someone to open a case against me when I had already opened a case against them... but again I was assured that I was in the right, and would be vindicated.  However, the notice from ebay said it would be handled in two days.  Four days after the date it was supposed to be closed, the case was still open.  AND PayPal had frozen my funds in the amount of this buyer's purchase!

Another call to ebay customer service, then half an hour on hold waiting for the claims agent... who, when he answered the phone, said that my case had in fact been handled 20 minutes ago - in my favor!  So, in effect, I sat on hold for half an hour for nothing, but at least the news was good.

PayPal has released my money, I have been paid, and ebay also removed the negative feedback from my account.  All is right with the world once more.  Well, with my ebay account, at any rate.  I'm willing to celebrate the small victories in this day and age.

8 comments:

  1. Glad it worked out. Love the photos - they make the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan - they make the sales, too! 8-)

      Delete
  2. Well done. But it's a pity one has so much hassle clearing one's name like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... so much for innocent until proven guilty! Ebay panders to the buyer. A seller can't even leave negative feedback for a buyer. They only allow you to put a response to a buyer's feedback on your own feedback rating... you can't put anything on a buyer's feedback rating to indicate to other sellers that this person is a ripoff artist. Unless you click "positive" feedback and the write something negative in the comment area... but most people don't go to the trouble of reading all the feedback, they just look at the percentage of positive vs. negative. It's dog-eat-dog, but for the most part it's fun because most sellers and buyers are honest.

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to clear your name! And it's a shame that some lovely old glasses had that nasty accident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were gorgeous... sigh. The thing with vintage eyewear is you can't manhandle it, stretch it out, put undue force on the arms. They will last a really long time if you treat them gently, but if you go putting too much stress on the hinges or the frame, they can be brittle and snap. This is where proper measurements come in. I always post the exact size and measurement of every pair I sell, so that people can measure their own glasses and see if the ones I'm selling will be a good fit. Also - an optician can professionally reshape eyeglass frames (using controlled heat) to fit your head without breaking them. A much better option than taking hold of the earpieces and yanking on them.

      Delete
  4. Sounds as if the snippy buyer had a fat head (in both senses of the word!) and tried to use them as a hair band or some such. Good for you to get the situation resolved in your favour. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chick - it sure is a load off my mind! Stuff like that really gets my goat. I really want people to enjoy my vintage frames - to wear them with joy and take good care of them. I get joy every day out of the ones I wear, and it makes me feel good to know I'm passing along that happiness to other people. I don't like bad apples trying to spoil the sweetness of that.

      Delete

Say what's on your mind!