Monday, February 04, 2008

Sometimes a good cry is exactly what I need

Came home from work before Bear got home. Washed the rest of the dishes from our SuperBowl party (some game, huh?), poured myself a glass of red wine, and sat down on the couch, exhausted from a particularly grueling day at the salt mines.

Flipped on the tube. Hit "favorites" button until I reached Turner Classic Movies. "The Glenn Miller Story", starring my all-time favorite actor, Jimmy Stewart, was just coming on. And June Alyson plays the perfect supporting wife. No one could have done it better. I settled back to soak in the Stewart and the tunes of my favorite time period of all time, and my favorite band of the time - Glenn Miller's Orchestra.

Jimmy Stewart as Glenn Miller

Suffice it to say that I forgot how sad this movie was. Hell, I was sobbing through the HAPPY parts. And then they started to play that song which has haunted me lo, these many years.... "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"... I totally forgot that song was in this movie! I cried some more. Don't know why, but now that I realize this song is haunting me, it makes me cry.

The real Glenn Miller

Bear came home and has been slaving over a hot stove, making sausage, peppers, and onions to put on toasted heros with melted mozzarella cheese for dinner. Even that is making me cry tonight.

I think I just needed a good cry, and there's nothing like Jimmy Stewart and Glenn Miller's music to give me that.

Man, I'm gonna tear me up some sausage and pepper heros tonight.

Miss you, J.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy!