
Today as I was driving home, I saw an SUV in front of me bearing one of those magnets shaped like a ribbon with a slogan regarding the support of our troops. Just like a million other days, behind a million other SUVs, which bore a million other ribbon-shaped magnets.
But today what went through my mind was this:
If you could talk to someone from the year 1300, and you said the first paragraph in this post to them, the following would happen:
1. You would have to explain to them what "driving" is.
2. You would have to explain what an SUV is.
3. You would have to explain what a magnet is and how it works.
4. You would have to explain why people put magnets on their SUVs.
5. You would have to explain why people care so much about what other people think that they stick instructional messages on how to believe, who to vote for, and etc. on the outside of their vehicles with magnets.
6. You would have to explain what a support ribbon is.
7. You would have to explain what a modern war is, and why our troops are in Iraq right now.
8. You would have to explain how putting a magnet on your SUV really does anything for the troops in Iraq.
With a father having served in Vietnam and grandfather(s) in WWII and one additionally in Korea and Vietnam, I can safely say that it means a great deal knowing of military personnel support coming from anywhere in the war on 'error'. I'm waiting for the surge in cost at the body shop, full of pending detailing with magnet-sized rust spots on the back of the vehicles. Turtle wax my butt!
ReplyDeleteOn #7, in the 1300's they were just gearing up for the Hundred Years War but they would question the 'why'
PS. couldn't find the Italian video..and you are welcome.
With a husband soldier, and family members galore, too - I understand the value of real support (sending cards, letters, necessities, goodies,and love) for our troops.
ReplyDeleteThe troops overseas cannot see what is on the bumper of anyone's car here. Putting stickers on one's vehicle is a way of telling other people what you think and trying to get them to think the same way - or pointing out your accomplishments, the smartness of your child, or your traveling prowess, etc. They are mini ego boosts for the driver.
re: #7.... note I said "modern" war. Humans have been warring for as long as they've been alive. Just not the way we do today.
re: italian video... me, neither. Thanks for trying!
- M
You are sooo right. (I love Bear's stories..my hubby reads them too)
ReplyDeleteIts good to hear of someone who actually supports the troops. (letters, packages, better gear!!)
I have a patron sticker for the Portland Opera on my van. I am a proud opera egotist...in my 1996 mini van. ~grins~
PS. Have you checked Google images for Jolie pics? They have some fantastic shots...
Bee's - Hell yeah!! My collection of Angie pics on CD now registers somewhere in the thousands. I've got all the old ones (barring baby pix, which are hard to come by) and now I just surf the news sites and sites dedicated to Ang for the new ones that pop up. I collect every one I find. It's fun when you've lost your mind... la la laa lala laaa....
ReplyDelete- M