Thursday, February 14, 2008


1944-2008

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

***

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Marcheline. You have my deepest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetheart. I'm so very sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry honey. I'm so very sorry you lots someome you loved so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending you enormous mental hugs and love, my dear. If the grief is proportional to the love, you've probably never hurt so much before, and I'm sorrier than I can say. I'm praying for you and your sister today, since there's no one else in the world who knew him as Dad, and no one who will miss him more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my thoughts and prayers are with you today and going forward. it is such a painful thing to lose a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful picture of you and your Dad. It is a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sincere condolences. Life is sometimes a cruel mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friends,

    I wanted to thank each of you on my wife's behalf, and also on my own, for your kind thoughts and words that you have so graciously offered at what is such a very sad and difficult time for our family.

    Marcheline has not had the time, or perhaps, the presence of mind, to sit down and respond to you as of yet, though once she has had some time to come to terms with what is, essentially, a new world to her, I am sure that she will want to respond to you in her own words.

    I hope that mine will suffice for now.

    Marcheline's Dad was a very unique, lively, and engaging figure who was very much loved by everyone who knew him.

    He was such a 'larger-than-life' individual that it almost seems to those of us who knew him that it would have been somewhat beneath him to actually die.

    When he departed this world, he took with him a piece of each heart that he had touched during his lifetime, and, I suppose, this is as it should be.

    The unexpected nature of his passing came as a shock to the entire family, and to his friends and acquaintances as well. It will be some time, I suppose, before we are all able to completely process what that has transpired in these past few days.

    I cannot tell you how much your friendship, presence, and kind thoughts and words mean to us.

    Although we have not met in person, we consider the friendships that we have forged with you over the past months and years to be vital and meaningful, and we very much appreciate how each of you have reached out, and that you have taken the time to let us know that you care.

    Fond thanks to each and every one of you.

    In Peace & Brotherhood,

    Bear

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read about your father and I'm so very sorry to hear the news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so so sorry for your loss. You're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!