Friday, February 17, 2012

Full four times hath Phoebus' cart gone round...


It's that time of year again, folks. I watched Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet" in memory of my own dear father's death, and then sat down and put pen to paper to thank Mr. Branagh for his masterpiece. Three years running, I have received kind replies from his assistant, Tamar Thomas, saying that he was away on a project. Last year, as you may recall, she even included a Hamlet photocard (pre-) signed by Mr. Branagh.


This year, I'm hoping to receive a reply from himself. Fingers crossed, everyone, maybe the fourth time's the charm. Any readers who live in the UK, feel free to drop by Shepperton Studios and put in a good word for me. (Hey, can't blame a girl for trying!)

3 comments:

  1. Damn - I saw him just yesterday. If only you had written this post earlier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pestis!

    (That is latin for "rats", right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with that. I saw KB play Hamlet on stage at the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford in 1993. He was mesmerising. I also wrote to him, the year his marriage to Emma Thompson broke up, commiserating and passing on a piece of advice given me by my own late father, a countryman of earthy sensibilities. My father's advice to me, (not particularly relevant as I am female), was, "Pick a plain one, they are more anxious to please." Now I don't know whether my words had any effect, but KB is still seemingly happily married to his second wife, who is much more ordinary looking than Emma T.
    My letter received a reply, obviously dictated by KB. It was typed but made a point relevant to my letter, rather than a mass-produced circular, and was signed by the man himself. Of course, I still have it.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!