Saturday, February 18, 2012

Welcome to Marcheline's "WILD KINGDOM"!

This is about the most exciting thing that's happened in my garden, in the wintertime, in the history of my garden, in the wintertime.





Of course, the bugger was trying to catch my birds at the feeder for his own breakfast, but he's so very beautiful I just can't be mad at him. He's got to make a living, too.

***NOTE TO BIRD LOVERS***

This is a peregrine falcon!

6 comments:

  1. I would be so thrilled to get such photos. The only time a sparrowhawk visited my bird-table (in Eagleton) that I've been aware of, it crash-landed in the Astilbes because it had failed to take into account the fact that my bird-table is on a lower level of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a photo of a Sparrowhawk dismembering a pigeon in my garden - whoopee and yuck at the same time. I'm no good on 'foreign' birds - not that he realises he's foreign to me - can you tell me what he is, please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GB - you had me going there, I was thinking "the Astilbes... what mountain range is that?" until I realized what you meant! Hahahahaa!

    SS - this falcon also dismembered pigeons in my yard. One in the back garden, one in the side garden. There are still big circles of feathers where the poor critters met their untimely ends.

    Also, thanks for pointing out that I didn't identify my predator... have fixed that now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature in the raw! I love birds of prey, except when they pick off all our ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Peregrine. That's even more impressive. I've never known them in gardens here though a pair used to nest on the cathedral in Liverpool city centre so presumably they were seen in local gardens on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scriptor- they've really increased in numbers here, you can see them all along the highways, sitting in tall trees waiting for fresh roadkill.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!