Thursday, November 08, 2018

Help us welcome our newest family member - Whisky!


Tuesday was my Sunday.  It was pouring the rain outside, and I was lounging on the sofa in the living room, drinking coffee and either reading a really smart, literary-type book about the French revolution, or binge-watching a mindless television series.

Suddenly I heard a very loud noise... it was coming from outside.  I could hear it very clearly, even though all the doors and windows were closed tight.  It sounded bad, and it went on and on, like a siren.

I flew up off the sofa and peered out the door.  All the outside cats that I feed every day were in the yard, about twenty feet away, staring towards me.  There, at my feet, was a very small orange cat making a VERY LARGE NOISE.

I started talking to her, and the noise she was making got bigger and louder.  She was soaking wet and shivering, and yowling like a mountain lion.  I ran back inside, got food, and came out and put it in the five dishes.  She continued yowling, and ate from every one of those dishes, like she had never eaten before in her life.  Her little concave belly and jutting hip bones made me think that might be the truth.  The yowling continued between bites, and if it wasn't so pathetic, it might have made me laugh.

 "ROWRcrunchRROWRcrunchRROWWWRRRcrunchcrunch..."

The rain really started coming down hard, and she was shaking from head to foot, so I scooped her up and brought her inside.  I installed her in the bathroom with her own food and water, and a makeshift litter box (a cardboard box with a plastic garbage bag wrapped around it like a liner, with litter poured in) and a cardboard box with a clean, dry towel in it for sleeping.

She figured out what everything was for, and after eating again, she curled up in the box on the towel and fell fast asleep, purring loudly the whole time.



I almost named her "Yeller", considering how I found her, but then I thought it probably wasn't fair to name someone based on what might have been the very lowest point in their life.  Bear and I decided on "Whisky", because she's that color.

First thing on the agenda was to get her checked by the vet, get all her shots and etc. so that she can be healthy and not endanger our other kitties.  I took her to our vet yesterday, and learned many things.

1.  Whisky is a BOY!  Even more interesting, he's a "cryptorchid" - which means his testes never descended.  They may eventually descend... but if they don't, getting him neutered will be more difficult, because it will involve abdominal surgery, more like spaying a female.  He will have to be neutered, because even if his junk isn't in the right place, it will still pump him full of hormones and make him aggressive and spraying stink, etc.

2.  Whisky has adult teeth - so what I thought was a small kitten was really a very undernourished adult cat!  He only weighs 1.5 pounds.... poor wee skinny creature!  That is going to change fairly soon, I think.  He will be able to eat whenever he likes, and he really enjoys the food we serve at this joint!

3.  Best of all, he tested negative for feline aids and leukemia!!  So happy!!

The other kitties are being fairly accepting of him so far.  One or two hisses from the youngest, who thinks Whisky is an alien, but the older cats have totally accepted him.  Whisky even jumped up and snuggled next to our oldest cat this morning, and he didn't even turn his head.


This morning, Whisky got a bath and a blow-dry, and he smells much better.  His tummy is getting round, and he is absolutlely a snuggle-bunny.  He's soaking up all the love that he's been missing.

Welcome, Whisky!

10 comments:

  1. Awwwwwww. congrats on your newest Fur Baby! Not surprised he's a Boy, so many Gingers are for some reason and they usually are very personable, years ago we had two who came to us as strays too and we assumed might even be Father and Son. We once had a Rescue Cat we named Rat Boy and when old enough to take to the Vet for fixing discovered Rat Boy was a Girl... kept the name tho' and she lived just over 20 years, one of my all time favorite Cats... shhhhh don't tell any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bo! Some years ago, we acquired a neighborhood outside cat that basically moved into our yard and stayed... he was a ginger, and his name was Jack. Our Whisky has a lot of the facial features Jack had (a long nose among them) and is exactly the same shade, so we are thinking maybe Whisky is one of Jack's lineage.

      So far, Whisky is still in recovery mode - eating and sleeping a lot, sitting very still and watching. I think he's had a very rough time in his little life, and I'm hoping that once he fills out a bit he will find his playful side.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Even more so now that he's not terrified and starving! The bath made a huge difference in his whole outlook, too. 8-)

      Delete
  3. I've only ever had one pet in my adult life and I inherited him: a ginger cat called BP (short for Big Puss). I cannot recall what his real name was because he was never called by it when he came to live here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several cat generations ago, we had an outdoor friend called TC (short for Tan Cat). That moniker stuck, too. 8-)

      Delete
  4. What a nice kitty you have! All our cats were strays that showed up around meal time out at the barn. All got captured, vaccinated, and fixed. All were good cats, and we never had a mouse or rat problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I wish we had room for a barn, where the outside kitties could sleep warm and dry in straw during bad weather. Sadly, all we have is an old gazebo with lattice walls and it's full of our gardening implements...

      Delete
  5. I wish I had rat catchers and a place for them to live. I am allergic to cats, but I have rats that come to the chickens pen for food, I suppose. Then, they venture inside, and I am not having that. I would have an indoor cat except for the allergies. Your new kitty is lucky to have come to you. His hard life ended. And, he is cute. You can fix the gazebo for the outside kitties by only moving one or two things so a Rubbermaid box can go in there with straw. My chickens live in a Rubbermaid box inside their dog enclosure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful person you are to adopt that poor starving kitty! He will never ever forget what you have done for him!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!